Rules and Eligibility

Replacement Cards

In case where the voter identification card is lost, destroyed or damaged, one has to report the matter to the chief who will later write a letter to be presented to IEC confirming those issues. That letter has to be taken to the MRUO who will do all the processes:

• Check the elector in the electors’ register;

• Verify

• Reprint another card

• Fill replacement form

• Attach letter from the chief to the replacement form.

• If the defaced or damaged card is there, attach it to the form too.

Correction of Personal Data

Registered electors have to inspect the lists to make sure that their personal details are correct. In the case of discrepancies, you are expected to notify the CEO/ MRUO who will fill in amendment form using MRU.
An amendment form has to be used in order to correct personal data of an elector on the electors’ register. This also applies to those whose voter identification numbers starts with the following digits “00”. In their case, all the details will be re-captured. The purpose is to capture quality photos and finger prints.


In the case of omissions, the elector should inform the Display Clerk who will collect the electors’ details and submit them to the CEO/MRUO. In the case whereby an applicant has a registration certificate but does not appear on the electors’ register, you will have to verify the fact by checking the control sheet, which was used in the registration process. That person has to be helped by using the amendment form in order to have an ID and to re-capture his/her details.

If the applicants’ name does not appear on the control sheet, the applicant will not be allowed to proceed, but he/she may fill in the objection form if he/she so desires.

If the elector’s picture is on the list together with the correct registration number, but the names and other details are not on the list, fill in the missing details on the amendment form.


Any person entitled to be registered as an elector /representative of a political party may object to a person whose name appears in the provisional list on the ground that such person is not qualified to be registered as an elector. He/she may also object to the non-appearance of a person in the register as well as the refusal of an applicant to register.

Objections may be particularly done on the following grounds:

• If a registered person is not a citizen of Lesotho

• He/she does not reside in the area where he/she has registered or does not work there.

• He/she is not of voting age

• A registered person is not who he/she claims to be

• He/she is declared not to be of sound mind.

A person who wants to object must fill the objection form and sign it. You as the display clerk have to assist him/her to fill the objection form if necessary.


Where an elector has changed residence since registration, he/she will be assisted to change his/her registration centre to a centre near where he/she currently resides/works. (Fill the appropriate transfer form). Note that a person may apply for a transfer only if:

• He/she has changed residence

• He/she has changed area of employment

• She is married elsewhere other than the area she had registered earlier.

A person will have to ask for a transfer form at the registration centre / constituency office/ voting district where he/she wants to be transferred to. People who want to transfer their names should produce letters from their employers or chiefs showing that they have been transferred / changed residence. Those letters should be kept safely and be handed to Constituency Electoral Assistant for submission to Director’s office.
You are requested to begin with the surname of the applicant first when filling the transfer form. Make sure that his/her registration number is correctly written.

Cancellation of Deceased

Dead people cannot vote. Electors are expected to help IEC to clean the electors’ register. You are expected to fill in form 1K with the chief of the villages concerned before and during the display of the provisional electors’ lists. The chief is expected to sign the form and endorse a date stamp as verification that the information contained in the form is correct. Electors are expected to object to the names of deceased that appear on the electors’ register. In this case, they should be asked to fill in the objection forms and report the matter to the chief of the area/ village.

Chiefs must report the deaths of the electors to the Director of Elections through the IEC Official in the concerned area within 7 days of occurrence of such death. The relatives of the deceased are expected to report the matter to the chief.

The Registrar of the High Court or Clerk of Court shall within the period of 14 days report to the Director of Elections about the person who have been sentenced to death or has been convicted of an offence relating to registration/corrupt practices concerning elections/ and or illegal practices concerning elections. (Section: 20. Chapter 11 part 1-3 excluding sections 156 and 160).

The Registrar General shall notify the Director of Elections within 7 days of knowing about the following:

• Any person who has been deprived of citizenship;

• Any person who has renounced citizenship; in order for them to be removed from the electors’ register.